The Lighthouse Quilt is specifically requested by my father. Not just "A" lighthouse quilt, but a quilt depicting the Cape Flattery lighthouse in Washington please thank you very much.
I blogged about starting the quilt, and some photos of the lighthouse here. I made some units for the house and the tower and about 4 months ago it looked like this
It then got put away, but as I've a week off school I knew I should really clear the work table and do something with it.
I didn't like that one building was at an angle, and I didn't like the darkness of the windows and doors, the tower's light section was completely wrong and obviously some sort of land was needed!
I asked Mr Google for some help and found a whole new way of procrastinating! I found better photos of the lighthouse and the island, Tatoosh:
I also found a few very helpful photos:
These helped me get a better idea of the layout of the building, and I could see obvious mistakes in the initial layout.
I then looked more closely at the pictures and realised I didn't have to choose between the two grasses - I could use both
The next job will be to start preparing the applique pieces. With serendipitous good timing, Katy posted some applique suggestions this morning, and I happen to have some fusible interfacing, and am now stitching each building part to the interfacing.
(But I've just realised the main building part still needs two windows, so I shall do them first!)