Anyway, back to points (sorry I drifted off a bit there). A while ago, the lovely Hadley showed how she made a panel for a zipped pouch using an iron on method that gave perfect points (I'm not, of course, suggesting that her points aren't always perfect) so I thought I'd give it a go. She demonstrates her method [here], but as I took photos of my version too I will show them as well
I got some fusible interfacing/stabiliser, and drew a 2.5inch grid on the non-fusible side
I cut my fabrics into 2.5" squares and ironed them on in a tessellated cross design
I folded along each line and stitched (right sides together)
I trimmed the fold
I cursed as I tried to press the seam open, and gave up. Trouble was my points would now be very bulky, so I snipped at each junction so I could push the seams in alternate directions as I stitched the perpendicular seams
I stitched and then trimmed the second lot of folds. I considered trying to press open these seams, but eventually gave up
Instead I flipped the whole thing over and leaned heavily on the iron to flatten the whole thing into submission.
I'm very please with the points, but if I ever do this again, I will (a) use light interfacing, (b) use bigger seams so I can trim and still be left with enough to press the seams open, and (c) maybe read Hadley's post in full so I see where she has added a link to a full tutorial, sigh!